All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs they reach middle age, most men begin looking forward to what's next. They gear up to experience renewed productivity and purpose and are more conscious of their health. A Man's Guide to Healthy Aging is an authoritative resource for them, and for older men, as well. In collaboration with a variety of medical experts, the authors provide a comprehensive guide to healthy aging from a man's perspective. Edward H. Thompson, Jr., and Lenard W. Kaye - a medical sociologist and a gerontologist and social worker - offer invaluable information in four parts: Managing Our Lives describes the actions men can take to stay healthy. Here is information about how to eat well, reduce stress, and stay active for better overall health; Mind and Body considers how physical health and state of mind are connected. It explores sleep, drug and alcohol use, spirituality, and attitudes about appearance-and explains how all of these factors affect mental health; Bodily Health examines how body systems function and what changes may occur as men age. It covers the body from head to toe and reviews how to manage chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and heart conditions; and Living with Others shows the importance of interacting with friends and family. Topics include sexual intimacy, friendship, and caregiving, as well as how men can make the best decisions about end-of-life issues for themselves and their loved ones. Refuting the ageist stereotype that men spend their later years winding down, this book will help men reinvent themselves once, twice, or more-by managing their health, creating new careers, and contributing their skills and experiences to their communities.
- Author BiographyEdward H. Thompson, Jr., is professor emeritus of sociology at the College of the Holy Cross. Lenard W. Kaye is a professor of social work and director of the Center on Aging at the University of Maine.
- Author(s)Edward H. Thompson,Jr.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication26/11/2013
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Series TitleA Johns Hopkins Press Health Book
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note51, 51 black & white illustrations
- Weight1044 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.02Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.