All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSHORTLISTED FOR THE WILLIAM HILL SPORTS BOOK OF THE YEAR PRIZE 2015. 'I kill a man and most people forgive me. However, I love a man and many say this makes me an evil person.' On 24 March 1962, when Emile Griffith stepped into the ring in Madison Square Garden to defend his world title against Benny Paret, he was filled with rage. During their weigh-in, the Cuban challenger had deunced Griffith as a 'faggot' and minced towards him. In the macho world of boxing, where fighters kw they are engaged in the hurt game, there could be greater insult. At that time, it was illegal for people of the same gender to have sex, or even for a bar to kwingly serve a drink to a gay person. It was an insinuation that could have had dangerous consequences for Griffith - especially as it was true. In the fight that followed, Griffith pounded Paret into unconsciousness, and the Cuban would die soon after, leaving Griffith haunted by what he had done. Despite this, he went on to fight more world championship rounds than any other fighter in history in a career that lasted for almost 20 years. In Donald McRae's first sports book in more than a decade, he weaves a compelling tale of triumph over prejudice - Griffith was black, so doubly damned by contemporary society, but refused to cower away as society wished. A Man's World is sure to become a classic piece of sports writing.
- Author BiographyDonald McRae is the award-winning author of eight books. He is one of only two authors to have won the prestigious William Hill award twice, for Dark Trade and In Black & White. As a journalist he has twice won Sports Interviewer of the Year - as well as winning Sports Feature Writer of the Year. He lives in Hertfordshire.
- PrizesShortlisted for William Hill Sports Book of the Year 2015.
- Author(s)Donald McRae
- PublisherSimon & Schuster Ltd
- Date of Publication10/09/2015
- SubjectBoxing & Combat Sports
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSimon & Schuster Ltd
- Content Note8pp b-w photographs
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.