All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe story of humanity's earliest days on earth has come down to us chiefly in the tools and weapons early hominids shaped from flint. With these tools, they gained ascendancy over less dexterous beasts and began the slow conquest of their environment. Other records, including their very bones, have largely rotted away, but their tools of flint endure. H. Mewhinney presents A Manual for Neanderthals as a common-sense, down-to-earth study of how flint tools and weapons were made-or for that matter, can still be made by any descendant of Stone Age man. The author first sets the scene with a delightful and informative disquisition on flintflaking and flint-flakers, and then explains clearly and concisely how he and earlier Neanderthals have made flint artifacts, illustrating each step with drawings and photographs. Archeologists and anthropologists will discover in this book a modest but genuine contribution to their fields, while collectors of Indian relics and people who like to tinker with tools and master unusual skills will find it a surprisingly practical guide to an interesting and ancient art. With patience, and with A Manual for Neanderthals at your side, you too can learn to flake flint.
- Author BiographyH. Mewhinney (1904-1973) was a newspaper reporter and columnist who wrote the column Meeting All Comers for the Houston Post for many years.
- Author(s)H. Mewhinney
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2014
- SubjectOther Specific Technologies
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note20 b&w illus.
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.