All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn unprecedented account of one of the bloodiest and most significant racial clashes in American historyIn May 1866, just a year after the Civil War ended, Memphis erupted in a three-day spasm of racial violence that saw whites rampage through the city's black neighborhoods. By the time the fires consuming black churches and schools were put out, forty-six freed people had been murdered. Congress, furious at this and other evidence of white resistance in the conquered South, launched what is w called Radical Reconstruction, policies to ensure the freedom of the region's four million blacks and one of the most remarkable experiments in American history. Stephen V. Ash's A Massacre in Memphis is a portrait of a Southern city that opens an entirely new view into the Civil War and its aftermath. A momentous national event, the riot is also remarkable for being one of the best-documented episodes of the American nineteenth century. Yet Ash is the first to mine the sources available to full effect. Bringing postwar Memphis to vivid life, he shows us newly arrived Yankees, former Rebels, boisterous Irish immigrants, and striving freed people, and how Americans of the period worked, prayed, expressed their politics, imagined the future, and how they died. Ash's harrowing and profoundly moving present-tense narration of the riot has the immediacy of the best journalism. Told with nuance, grace, and a quiet moral passion, A Massacre in Memphis is Civil War era history like other.
- Author BiographyStephen V. Ash is a professor emeritus of history at the University of Tennessee. He is the author of Firebrand of Liberty, A Year in the South and other books on the Civil War era. He lives in Knoxville, Tennessee.
- Author(s)University Professor of History Stephen V Ash
- PublisherFarrar Straus Giroux
- Date of Publication14/10/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectMilitary History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar Straus Giroux
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight422 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $24.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.