All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionThis companionoffers for the first time a book-length review of medical practitioners and episodes in Dickens s fiction. The vels and sketches are examined from a medical-historical viewpoint, revealing in several cases a topicality which has been obscured by time. The accuracy of Dickens s descriptions is confirmed by comparison with medical texts published between the 1700s and the present. Examination of the reception of Dickens s works by members of the medical profession brings fascinating insight into Dickens s popularity among doctors, the degree to which his characters continue to -live-, and the diversity of opinion with which they and their medical states are interpreted. The Public Health movement, arising in the Victorian Age, finds its way into Dickens s fiction, and even more into his weekly journals. The folk remedies, movements outside the medical mainstream and superstitions found in Dickens s works reflect t only his own convictions, but also the state of medicine in an age of flux. These aspects in the works of a nineteenth-century medical layman are made accessible and presented in a form readable for laymen and professionals alike.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Joanne Eysell was born in Ipswich, Massachusetts and has lived in Germany since 1974. After undergraduate study at the American University in Washington, DC, she earned a Masters in German Studies at Middlebury College in Vermont, and a Ph.D. in English Literature at the Open University in England. The author works as a medical translator.
- Author(s)Joanne Eysell
- PublisherPeter Lang AG
- Date of Publication01/06/2005
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintPeter Lang AG
- Content Notefig. and tables
- Weight370 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.