All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book spells out an authentic worldview, or philosophy of life for those wanting to be real in the twenty-first century. Rather than than try to reconcile science and religion, it tracks a path between the two, latching onto the positive dimensions of each while avoiding the shortcomings of both. The author offers grounding, integrity, balance, and liberation to ... those who have given up what they used to believe and w tend to believe thing or just about anything, and who are left feeling disjointed or empty; those who are holding on to what they were taught as children and kw it doesn't hold water any more; those who are so dependent on being right that they are afraid to face the real world we kw today; those whose worldview is based on sentimental religion or secular science and is full of holes, leaving them shaky, intellectually fragile or fractured; those who live one day a week believing in the enchanted forest world of their religion and live the other six days as if the natural, cause-and-effect world is real, kwing all the while that such contradiction is unhealthy; those who can't stand traditional, supernatural religion but also are nervous about closed-minded science; those who gave up sentimental religion for all its silly, superstitious beliefs but have found thing to replace the warmth and deep sense of belonging it offered; and those who are as fanatical about their secularism, or scientism, as the worst of religious zealots. From the start, Robinson provides you with helpful information. At the same time, he sets you free to pursue your own take on things and decide who you are going to be in the midst of the spiritual human family and the mind-blowing cosmos.
- Author BiographyIn November 2000, Time Warner published the paperback version of Duke Robinson's award-winning hardcover book GOOD INTENTIONS, under the title TOO NICE FOR YOUR OWN GOOD: How to Stop Making 9 Self-Sabotaging Mistakes. It appeared in twelve languages and as an early Kindle book. It continues to sell briskly through Amazon.com, B&N.com and bookstores everywhere. His second non-fiction book, CREATE YOUR BEST LIFE: How to Live Fully Knowing One Day You Will Die, appeared in December 2011, published through CreateSpace. In September 2012, he published this, his first novel, also through CreateSpace. Robinson was reared in the Philadelphia area, graduating in 1950 from Haverford High School. He holds a BA degree in philosophy (1954) from the Wheaton College, near Chicago, and a Masters of Divinity (1958), from Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary. He has lived since 1960, in the East Bay of Northern California. For 28 years before retiring to writing, he led the dynamic, progressive Montclair Presbyterian Church in Oakland. For several years during that ministry he served as an adjunct professor at San Francisco Theological Seminary, from which he holds an earned doctorate (1979). Prior to retiring from the pastorate in 1996, he also was known widely as a speaker and appeared frequently on Northern California television. Since 2000, he has lived in Rossmoor, an active adult community in Walnut Creek, CA, thirty miles east of San Francisco. Barbara, his beloved wife of 54 years died in 2008 (He writes of her dying and his almost dying in 2009, in his book CREATE OUR BEST LIFE). He has four mature children, nine wonderful grandchildren and a super-great, great grandson born in October 2012. In April 2014, he published this book, his third nonfiction work.
- Author(s)Duke Robinson
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication04/04/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight358 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.