All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Modest Proposal, reprinted here, was written over 300 years ago by Jonathan Swift, outspoken voice of the 18th century, and author of Gulliver's Travels. In his humorous essay, Swift wrote against the British elite's disdain for the starving Irish children, who were then begging in their streets, and at their doors. Other rare works by Swift are also included, such as A Meditation Upon a Broomstick, Thoughts on Various Subjects, A Satirical Elegy, An Argument Against Abolishing Christianity and more. A Modern Proposal applies Swift's concept to our world today, where the unchaining of hypocrisy could so easily take the satirically suggested turn proposed by Swift. This poignant update will leave you laughing out loud, until you realize how close it comes to identifying where our current society may end. This new satire is then spearheaded by three scathing propositions that could save your life! Further balance is provided with the addition of stories, comedy, rhyme, and even a song to help lead your way back to the sanity of a reclaimed world.
- Author BiographyJonathan Swift (1667 - 1745) is a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin (B.A., 1686). He is also a graduate of Hart Hall, Oxford (M.A., 1692). His Doctor of Divinity was much later received, in 1702, after having returned to Trinity College. Swift, who in his lifetime served as a priest, politician, poet, and pamphleteer, is best known as the greatest satirist in the English language. With almost a thousand pages of poetry, and at least fourteen volumes of printed prose, his two greatest works, both satires and both known all over the world, are Gulliver's Travels, and the one reprinted here, A Modest Proposal. ________________________________________ Abel Prudhomme is a graduate in Biblical Studies from Louisiana Baptist University. He is also a graduate of the Library Technology Program at Pasadena City College. His other published works (which are all available at Amazon.com) include The Last of the Canterbury Tales, and his newly released theatrical play, Hamlet Resurrected, portions of which may be previewed via front page publication in the Fall 2012 online edition of West Magazine, or via a three part televised reading, from the Spend a Little Time With Poetry Show, available on YouTube. More information, including his latest works and upcoming performances, is available at www.abelprudhomme.com.
- Author(s)Abel Prudhomme,Jonathan Swift
- Date of Publication07/12/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight213 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $55.12Trending at AU $57.39
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $12.70Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.21
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $63.70
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.