All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe French Revolution was a huge, brutal yet inspiring phemen that changed global political thinking and action, and its echoes resound even in the twenty-first century. It was an intensely complex mix of events, concepts and individuals and A New Dictionary is an invaluable aid to unravelling its complications, and an essential companion for students and general readers alike. There are some 400 entries covering the main events, personalities, parties, ideologies, political ideas, philosophers, writers, artists, rebellions and wars, as well as touching on colonial and international developments, the interaction of church and state, science, law reform, events in the provinces and overseas territories and the reverberations in other European states. The Dictionary provides a full and vibrant history from the outbreak of revolution in 1789 to the Terror, the Revolutionary state, its wars and the rise of Napoleon. Entries contain much more than just bare factual information: they provide a detailed commentary and include suggestions for further reading - both in print and online - which refer to the extensive literature of over 200 years of scholarship and recent historiography. Cross-referencing is extensive and the index points to information about mir but important subjects which do receive entries of their own.
- Author BiographyAfter reading History at Oxford University, Richard Ballard taught at Eton College, Wells Cathedral School, Haileybury and Westminster School. He has lived in the Charente-Maritime since 2003, where he has researched the French Revolution extensively and published articles. He is the author of The Unseen Terror: The French Revolution in the Provinces (I.B.Tauris, 2010).
- Author(s)Richard Ballard
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/10/2011
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Notemaps
- Weight640 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine38 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.