All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionA New History of the Isle of Man will provide a new benchmark for the study of the island's history. In five volumes, it will survey all aspects of the history of the Isle of Man, from the evolution of the natural landscape through prehistory to modern times. The Modern Period is the first volume to be published. Wide in coverage, embracing political, constitutional, ecomic, labour, social and cultural developments in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the volume is particularly concerned with issues of image, identity and representation. From a variety of angles and perspectives, contributors explore the ways in which a sense of Manxness was constructed, contested, continued and amended as the little Manx nation underwent unprecedented change from debtors' retreat through holiday playground to offshore international financial centre.
- Author BiographyJohn Belchem is Emeritus Professor of History at the University of Liverpool, author of Irish, Catholic and Scouse: The History of the Liverpool-Irish, 1800-1940 (LUP, 2007) and editor of Liverpool 800: Character, Culture, History (LUP, 2006).
- PublisherLiverpool University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2001
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleNew History of the Isle of Man
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Place of PublicationLiverpool
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLiverpool University Press
- Content Note1 frontispiece, 53 black & white illustrations
- Weight810 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byJohn Belchem
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.