All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany people in the West portray Japan as being fixed in its ways, and unable to change, and consequently risking national decline and international loss of prestige. However, in fact, Japan is at present in a significant transition period, comparable to the Meiji Restoration of 1868 or the period immediately after the Second World War. This transition period comes with a mixture of events and situations which are difficult to interpret both for foreign as well as domestic commentators and decision makers. In this book a range of senior experts from inside Japan outline the many considerable changes currently taking place in a wide range of fields, including the ecomy, business and techlogy, politics, governance and international relations, and a wide range of social issues - the media, the position of women, nationalism and national consciousness, and religion. Overall, the book provides a corrective to misplaced Western and Eastern views; it aims to redirect stereotyped thinking about contemporary Japan both inside as well as outside the country. In addition it gives a summary overview of contemporary Japan, its current changes and problems- in short the inside story of the second strongest national ecomy in the world which is in the process of fundamental re-engineering and which will continue to have a huge impact globally going forward.
- Author BiographyRien T. Segers is Director and Professor at the Center for Contemporary Japanese Studies, University of Groningen, the Netherlands. He was previously Visiting Professor at the International Research Centre for Japanese Studies, Kyoto (2006-2007).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/05/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleRoutledge Contemporary Japan Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note23 black & white illustrations, 14 black & white tables, 23 black & white line drawings
- Weight453 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byRien T. Segers
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.