Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $7.00+ AU $6.00 postage
- Acceptable condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Elfrise Swanston meets Stephen Smith she is attracted to his handsome face, gentle bearing and the sense of mystery which surrounds him. Although distressed to find that the mystery consists only in the humbleness of his origins, she remains true to their youthful vows. But societal pressures, and the advent of the superior Henry Knight, eventually displace her affections. Knight, however, proves to be an uncompromising moralist who, obsessed with fears about Elfride's sexual past, destroys her happiness. Writing of the struggle between classes and sexes, Hardy drew heavily on his own relationships, and in the introduction, Pamela Dalziel discovers fascinating parallels between Hardy's life and his art.
- Author BiographyTHOMAS HARDY (1840-1928) was recognized, and even revered, as the major literary figure of his time. The majority of his major novels are available in Penguin Classics.
- Author(s)Thomas Hardy
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication03/01/1998
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Content NoteIllustrations, 1 facsim.
- Weight330 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byPamela Dalziel
- Introduction byPamela Dalziel
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.07Trending at AU $49.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.