A Passion for Paris: Romanticism and Romance in the City of Light by David Downie (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.79Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.34+ AU $28.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA top-tch walking tour of Paris. . . . The author's encyclopedic kwledge of the city and its artists grants him a mystical gift of access: doors left ajar and carriage gates left open foster his search for the city's magical story. Anyone who loves Paris will adore this joyful book. Readers visiting the city are advised to take it with them to discover countless new experiences. Kirkus Reviews (starred)A unique combination of memoir, history, and travelogue, this is author David Downie's irreverent quest to uncover why Paris is the world's most romantic city and has been for over 150 years. Abounding in secluded, atmospheric parks, artists' studios, cafes, restaurants and streets little changed since the 1800s, Paris exudes romance. The art and architecture, the cityscape, riverbanks, and the unparalleled quality of daily life are part of the equation.But the city's allure derives equally from hidden sources: querulous inhabitants, a bizarre culture of heroic negativity, and a rich historical past supplying enigmas, pleasures and challenges. Rarely do visitors suspect the glamor and chic and the carefree atmosphere of the City of Light grew from and still feed off the dark fountainheads of riot, rebellion, mayhem and melancholy and the subversive literature, art and music of the Romantic Age.Weaving together his own with the lives and loves of Victor Hugo, Georges Sand, Charles Baudelaire, Balzac, Nadar and other great Romantics Downie delights in the city's secular romantic pilgrimage sites asking, Why Paris, t Venice or Rome the tap root of romance or Berlin, Vienna and London where the earliest Romantics built castles-in-the-air and sang odes to nightingales? Read A Passion for Paris: Romanticism and Romance in the City of Light and find out.
- Author BiographyDavid Downie, a native San Franciscan, lived in New York, Providence, Rome and Milan before moving to Paris in the mid-1980s. He divides his time between France and Italy. His travel, food and arts features have appeared in print publications worldwide. Downie is co-owner with his wife Alison Harris of Paris, Paris Tours custom walking tours of Paris, Burgundy, Rome & the Italian Riviera. He is the author of the critically acclaimed Paris, Paris, and the bestselling Paris to the Pyrenees.
- Author(s)David Downie
- PublisherSt. Martin's Press
- Date of Publication28/04/2015
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt. Martin's Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width155 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $34.50Trending at AU $34.98
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.23
- AU $22.98Trending at AU $25.09
- AU $21.80Trending at AU $25.09
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $38.47
- AU $23.03Trending at AU $25.09
- AU $18.25Trending at AU $20.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.