All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book Gay Watson offers an alternative view of emptiness via a tour of early and n-Western philosophy, taking us from Buddhism, Taoism and religious mysticism to the contemporary world of philosophy, science and art practice. While traditionally most Western philosophies have been concerned with substance and foundation, she finds that modern and postmodern times have seen a resurgence of ideas of emptiness and offers reasons why this concept has attracted contemporary musicians, artists and scientists, as well as pre-eminent thinkers of earlier ages. A Philosophy of Emptiness probes the idea of how a life without transcendence might be lived, and why one might choose it. It links these concepts to current ideas of meditation and the mind, and offers a rich and intriguing take on the idea of emptiness, reclaiming it as a positive, empowering state.
- Author BiographyGay Watson is the author of Beyond Happiness: Deepening the Dialogue Between Buddhism, Psychotherapy and the Mind Sciences (2007).
- Author(s)Gay Watson
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication01/02/2014
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Weight213 g
- Width120 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.86
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.95
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $47.10
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.23
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.