All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat place does consciousness have in the natural world? If we reject materialism, could there even be a credible alternative? In A Place for Consciousness, Rosenberg addresses the causal role of consciousness in the world from an anti-physicalist perspective. Introducing a new paradigm called Liberal Naturalism, he offers a profound framework that proposes a deep link between consciousness and causation. Using this framework, he undercuts the logic of the historical debate and deflates the question of causality that physicalists have long been posing to anti-physicalists. Ultimately, he gives consciousness a causally important role without supposing either that it is physical or that it interacts with the physical.
- Author BiographyAfter receiving his Ph.D. in philosophy and cognitive science at Indiana University, where his dissertation on consciousness earned the Distinguished Research Award from Indiana's interdisciplinary Cognitive Science program, Gregg Rosenberg was a Fetzer Fellow at the Artificial Intelligence Center of the University of Georgia. In 1999 he applied for a patent on a new technology and started his own venture capital funded company, which he sold in 2001. Returning to his first love, the problem of consciousness, he devoted himself to finishing A Place for Consciousness.
- Author(s)Gregg H. Rosenberg
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication01/08/2004
- Series TitlePhilosophy of Mind Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note3 halftones & numeroua line figures
- Weight619 g
- Width163 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.