All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Portal in Space, set in Basra, Iraq, during the Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988), follows the lives of Anwar, a newly minted architect, and the other members of his affluent family as they attempt to maintain a sense of rmality during the frequent bombing attacks from Iran. When Anwar joins the Iraqi army and then goes missing in action, his family struggles to cope with uncertainty over his fate. His mother falls into depression and secludes herself in the family home, while his father shifts his attention from his duties as a judge to the weekly pilgrimage to Baghdad seeking information on his son-and to Zahra, the young widow he meets there. Emotionally engaging, A Portal in Space is a wry, wise tale of human beings striving to retain their humanity during a war that is anything but humane. Mahmoud Saeed succeeds brilliantly in bringing the sights and sounds of Iraq to life on the page-whether in a bunker on the front lines of the Iran-Iraq War or in the parlor of a fortune-teller in Baghdad. As Zahra says of the vel she is writing: It is a rmal vel that contains love, war, life, deceit, and death.
- Author BiographyMahmoud Saeed, a prominent and prolific Iraqi novelist, has written more than twenty novels and short story collections. He lived in Iraq until 1985, suffering imprisonment and the banning of some of his novels. William M. Hutchins, a professor in the Philosophy and Religion Department at Appalachian State University, has translated numerous works of Arabic literature into English, including four novels by the Nobel Prize laureate Naguib Mahfouz, as well as several novels by the Tuareg writer Ibrahim al-Koni.
- Author(s)Mahmoud Saeed
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleCMES Modern Middle East Literatures in Translation Series
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight237 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine330 mm
- Translated byWilliam M. Hutchins
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $31.07New
- AU $21.61New
- AU $43.96New
- AU $25.09New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.48Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $79.46
- AU $72.93Trending at AU $75.10
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.32
- AU $59.72Trending at AU $61.98
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.89
- AU $22.29Trending at AU $22.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.