All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book traces the development of four literacy discourses over twenty-five years: human capital, cultural, critical, and feminist literacy. By analyzing four federal educational policies and their specific references to literacy, language instruction, and key signifiers of the kinds of literacy prescribed for teachers and students, Mary Frances Agnello describes how the discourses of human capital and cultural literacy have been and remain predominant over the lesser well-kwn discourses of critical and feminist literacy. Tracing the proliferations and transformations in the meanings of literacy, Agnello looks to trends generated by the last wave of educational reform. She employs a vehicle of literacy policy analysis to locate where power is exercised to both define and develop literacy in the citizenry at large. As teachers and students question their positions with respect to these policies, they can become more self-directed promoters of democratic classroom literacy practices.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Mary Frances Agnello studied foreign language education majoring in French at The University of Texas in Austin. After several years of secondary school teaching, she pursued a masters and a doctorate at Texas A&M University, focusing on the foundations of education and language, literacy, and culture. She currently teaches at The University of Texas at San Antonio where she researches literacy policy and teacher education issues.
- Author(s)Mary Frances Agnello
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/09/2001
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleCounterpoints Studies in the Postmodern Theory of Education
- Series Part/Volume Number125
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight350 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $75.71New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.41Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $75.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.