All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPacked with full-colour images from contributors such as Vivienne Westwood, Stella McCartney, Edun and People Tree, A Practical Guide to Sustainable Fashion is a much-needed handbook for both students and professionals in the fashion and textile industries. Beginning with a reflection on current models of fashion design and production, this book introduces the key issues associated with the production, use and disposal of fashion clothing and gives step-by-step guidance on how to identify and evaluate the potential impacts of a garment during the design process. Featuring industry perspectives and studio-based exercises, the final five chapters of the book explore a range of ways in which designers can reduce the negative impacts associated with the life cycle of fashion garments. Packed with invative examples of best practice from international designers and brands, these chapters present each key stage in the life cycle of a fashion garment and explore approaches such as low-impact textiles techniques, mo-materiality, zero waste techniques, upcycling, repair and maintenance techniques and closed-loop design systems. A Practical Guide to Sustainable Fashion offers an overview of the following topics: garment design; sourcing and selecting fabrics and techniques; pattern making and toiling; garment construction; distribution; clothing care and maintenance; reuse and re-manufacture; and material recycling; and it also covers the following sustainable design approaches: design for empathy; using mo materials; zero waste techniques; design for durability; engaging with local communities; design for need; reducing laundering; design for repair; upcycling; and design for closed-loop systems.
- Author BiographyAlison Gwilt is a Reader in Fashion Design at the Art and Design Research Centre, Sheffield Hallam University, UK. She is also co-author of Shaping sustainable fashion: Changing the way we make and use clothes (2011).
- Author(s)Alison Gwilt
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication30/01/2014
- SubjectThe Arts: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleBasics Fashion Design
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFairchild Books
- Content Note200 colour illus
- Weight444 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.64
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.