All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis succinct, engaging book explains how busy elementary school principals can support effective literacy instruction in their schools. Chapters outline the fundamental components of a successful literacy program and describe specific practices that can instill a culture of literacy in a school. Strategies are provided for initiating a professional development program, understanding and using appropriate assessments with students, involving parents in literacy education, and assessing the strengths and weaknesses of teachers' instructional methods. Drawing from the authors' extensive experience as principals and teachers, the book's numerous examples demonstrate what strong literacy leadership looks like in action.
- Author BiographyCarol Beers, EdD, is Executive Professor in the School of Education at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. She has held a variety of positions in education during her career, including classroom teacher, principal, reading supervisor, assistant superintendent, superintendent, and tenured professor. Widely published, Dr. Beers has consulted and presented her work nationally and internationally. James W. Beers, PhD, is Professor of Reading, Language, and Literacy in the School of Education at the College of William and Mary. He is also Director of the Eastern Virginia Writing Project. Dr. Beers has taught reading, writing, and spelling to students at all grade levels, and has published books, chapters, and articles on reading, writing, and spelling. Jeffrey O. Smith, EdD, is Superintendent of West Point (Virginia) Public Schools. Dr. Smith has been recognized widely for his work as an instructional leader in rural, suburban and urban educational settings of all sizes. He has worked as a classroom teacher, assistant principal, principal, and assistant superintendent. He has also served as an adjunct faculty member at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia.
- Author(s)James W. Beers,Jeffrey O. Smith
- PublisherGuilford Publications
- Date of Publication01/01/2010
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleTools for Teaching Literacy Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGuilford Publications
- Content Noteblack & white tables, figures
- Weight360 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.