All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFifty years of Arkansas and U.S. politics is brought to life by a key participant. David Pryor's career of public service is unparalleled in Arkansas history: he has been elected state representative, congressman, goverr, and, alongside Dale Bumpers, U.S. senator (1979-1997), a seat his son Mark Pryor w holds. Through it all, Pryor's curiosity, compassion, and concern for ordinary Americans draw the reader from one colorful vignette to ather. His father sold Chevrolets, volunteered at church, and held local office just to be sure the right things were done in their community. Pryor's richly detailed childhood memories are worth the price of the book. Yet there is so much more.In the best tradition of American populists, Pryor followed his insight into the lives of ordinary Arkansans and Americans. He followed the voices of children in underfunded schools, of local officials who lacked funding to fulfill their responsibilities, of the elderly who needed adequate care in nursing homes. Pryor threw himself into fray after fray as advocate - often as champion - for the last, the least, and the neglected of our society.
- Author BiographyDavid Pryor's mother, one of the the first women to seek public office in Arkansas after women achieved the right to vote, once told a family friend that her son should not enter public life because he would be too easily disillusioned. Perhaps she underestimated her son - and the lessons she taught him. After nearly half a century serving Arkansas and the nation, Pryor continues to serve, now on the board of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Don Harrell, a childhood friend of Pryor's, was the senator's chief of staff during his years in the U.S. Senate and has recently retired as chief of external relations for TIAA-CREF in New York City, where he now resides.
- Author(s)David Pryor
- PublisherButler Centre for Arkansas Studies
- Date of Publication15/02/2009
- SubjectAutobiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationLittle Rock
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintButler Centre for Arkansas Studies
- Content Note60 photographs, index
- Weight512 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.