All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPsychology helps us to talk about what the velist kws, but fiction helps us to kw what the psychologist is talking about. So writes the author of this brilliant study. The chief impulse of realistic fiction is mimetic; vels of psychological realism call by their very nature for psychological analysis. This study uses psychology to analyze important characters and to explore the consciousness of the author and the work as a whole. What is needed for the interpretation of realistic fiction is a psychological theory congruent with the experience portrayed. Emerging from Paris' approach are wholly new and illuminating interpretations of Becky Sharp, William Dobbin, Amelia Sedley, Julien Sorel, Madame de Renal, Mathilde de la Mole, Maggie Tulliver, the underground man, Charley Marlow, and Lord Jim. The psychological approach employed by Paris helps the reader t only to grasp the intricacies of mimetic characterization, but also to make sense of thematic inconsistencies which occur in some of the books under consideration. For students of human behavior as well as students of literature, the great figures of realistic fiction provide a rich source of empathic understanding and psychological insight.
- Author BiographyBernard J. Paris is professor emeritus in the department of English at the University of Florida. His fields of interest include Victorian and comparative fiction and the psychological study of literature. He is author of numerous books including Rereading George Eliot, Imagined Human Beings, Character and Conflict in Jane Austen's Novels, and Karen Horney: A Psychoanalyst's Search for Self-Understanding.
- Author(s)Bernard J. Paris
- PublisherTransaction Publishers
- Date of Publication30/03/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationSomerset, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTransaction Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight441 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Introduction byBernard J. Paris
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.28Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.