All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'It will be a grand book for thae Englishers for they winna understand a word of it' Hogg's boast to William Blackwood Witty, humorous and comical as the title implies, the eccentric nature of many of the poems collected here nevertheless belies the often serious and moral issues contained within. Newly available in paperback, and including many of Hogg's better kwn longer pieces, the present volume is based on the first edition of A Queer Book to be published since 1832 - though the similarity between the two editions ends with the running order. While the text for the original edition was substantially reworked by the publisher to smooth out Hogg's use of Scots, this volume brings together manuscripts from all over the world to provide material as near to his final copy as possible. The result is a vibrant collection including many poems which have never been studied critically before. A thorough introduction to the best of Hogg's poetry.
- Author BiographyP. D. Garside is Professor of Bibliography and Textual Studies, University of Edinburgh and editor of James Hogg's A Queer Book and Walter Scott's Guy Mannering and Waverley.
- Author(s)James Hogg
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication20/06/2007
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Series TitleThe Collected Works of James Hogg
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Weight421 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byDouglas S. Mack,Gillian Hughes,Peter Garside
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.