All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Relational Aesthetic proposes a philosophy of aesthetics offering an alternative to classical aesthetics and the general course of aesthetics since Kant. Drawing on the insights of Harold H. Oliver's seminal contributions toward a relational metaphysic, the author submits that immediate aesthetic experiencing, as contrasted with aesthetic derivatives (such as artist, artwork, aesthetic event, audience, epistemological objectives, and craft), provides a satisfactory metaphysical and ontological description of art. Major attention is given to Kant, Whitehead, Sherburne, Heidegger, Gadamer, and Dewey whose separate and collegial expositions are shown to lend themselves to a relational reading.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Harold W. McSwain, Jr. has a Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology from Lambuth College, Master of Divinity and Master of Church Music degrees from Methodist Theological School in Ohio, and a Doctor of Theology degree from Boston University. In addition, he has studied orchestral conducting with Otto Werner Mueller of Yale University. Since 1977, he has served The United Church of Christ as an ordained pastor. He has also served as an adjunct faculty member at Boston College and Andover Newton Theological School, and has conducted extensively in the Eastern Massachusetts area.
- Author(s)Harold W. Jr McSwain
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/08/1994
- SubjectThe Arts: General & Reference
- Series TitleNew Studies in Aesthetics
- Series Part/Volume Number18
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published1994
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight630 g
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.