A Safe and Sustainable World: The Promise of Ecological Design by Nancy Jack Todd (Paperback, 2006)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $34.41Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $23.34+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA fascinating story that explores the birth and development of ecological design. In the late sixties, as the world was waking to a need for Earth Day, a pioneering group founded a small n-profit research and education organization they called the New Alchemy Institute. Their aim was to explore the ways a safer and more sustainable world could be created. In the ensuing years, along with scientists, agriculturists, and a host of enthusiastic amateurs and friends, they set out to discover new ways that basic human needs - in the form of food, shelter, and energy - could be met. A Safe and Sustainable World is the story of that journey, as it was and as it continues to be. The dynamics and the resilience of the living world were the Institute's model and the inspiration for their research. Central to their efforts then and w is, along with science, a spiritual quest for a more harmonious human role in our planet's future. The results of this work have w entered mainstream science through the emerging discipline of ecological design. Nancy Jack Todd t only relates a fascinating journey from lofty ideals through the hard realities encountered in learning how to actually grow food, harness the energy of the sun and wind, and design green architecture. She also introduces us to some of the heroes and mentors who played a vital role in those efforts as well, from Buckminster Fuller to Margaret Mead. The early work of the Institute culminated in the design and building of two bioshelters - large greenhouse-like independent structures called Arks, that provided the setting for much of the research to follow. Successfully proving through the Institute's designs and investigations that basic land sustainability is achievable, John Todd and the author founded a second n-profit research group, Ocean Arks International. Here they applied the New Alchemy's natural systems thinking to restoring polluted waters with the invention and implementation of biologically based living techlogies called Ecomachines and Pond and Lake Restorers. A Safe and Sustainable World demonstrates what has and can be done - it also looks to what must be done to integrate human ingenuity and the four billion or so years of evolutionary intelligence of the natural world into healthy, decentralized, locally dreams hard won - and hope.
- Author BiographyNancy Jack is Vice President of Ocean Arks International and editor of its journal Annals of Earth. She co-founded the New Alchemy Institute with John Todd, and is the author and co-author of many works, including From Eco-City to Living Machines, Bio-shelters, Ocean Arks and City Farming. She also contributed all the introductory essays to People, Land, and Community: Collected E. F. Schumacher Society Lectures (Yale University Press).
- Author(s)Nancy Jack Todd
- PublisherIsland Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2006
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIsland Press
- Content Note85 figures, bibliography, index
- Weight390 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edition Statement2nd
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $21.97
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.