Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $26.38Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $14.75Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLife and Love in 1830s Scotland When Jimmie Watt brings his new bride home his parents are horrified, because fishermen are expected to marry within their own community, and Belle is an incomer from the town across the water. Belle, an emotionally damaged and beautiful girl, struggles to find acceptance in the village but she is fighting a losing battle, and when Jimmie leaves the fishing village to sail to the Arctic with a whaling ship, she becomes increasingly isolated. With Jimmie gone, Belle falls for the charms of Lachlan, the Laird's son and embarks on a tempestuous affair with him. When Jimmie returns she struggles with her feelings for him and for Lachlan. The women in the village w regard Belle as a Jezebel who will tempt their men away. A mood of hysteria engulfs them and they turn against Belle, in an attempt to force her out of the village. What will Belle do? And will she survive? This historical saga is set in a Scottish fishing village in the 1830's and reflects the living conditions and the morals of the ordinary fisher folk of that time. Review quotes There is some beautiful poetic writing and the complex life of the heroine, Belle, had me gripped from the beginning. Some of the loveliest writing is in the whaling sequences -one can feel the cold - and among the whalers she creates some outstanding characters - Eileen Ramsay, velist A Salt-Splashed Cradle drips with historical accuracy, and even the scenes aboard a whaling ship seem to have been recounted directly from an 1800's whaler, almost as if Chris Longmuir boarded those ships and chopped them free from the arctic ice herself - Tim Greaton Chris Longmuir's books so far have been mysterious, suspenseful stories concerned with some of the darker depths of human nature. So it's surprising to learn that this latest is a romance. But fans won't be disappointed. Yes, it's a romance but the murkier motives and actions are still in evidence - Bill Kirton, crime writer Beautifully written with deeply enchanting and well drawn protagonists, A Salt Splashed Cradle goes beyond the rms of the historical romance to bring us a story of hardship, love, wanderlust and coming of age. This was a story I did t want to end and I hope the author plans to bring ather instalment of Belle's life and loves to us soon - Karen Bryant Doering Author information Chris Longmuir is an award winning velist as well as an established writer of short stories and articles.
- Author BiographyChris Longmuir is an award winning novelist who has published three novels in her Dundee Crime Series. Night Watcher, the first book in the series, won the Scottish Association of Writers' Pitlochry Award, and the sequel, Dead Wood, won the Dundee International Book Prize, as well as the Pitlochry Award. Missing Believed Dead is the third book in the series. Chris has recently published the first book in a new historical crime series which features Kirsty Campbell, Dundee's first policewoman. Her next book, to be published soon, is another Kirsty Campbell mystery set during the First World War. Her crime novels are set in Dundee, Scotland, and have been described as scary, atmospheric, page turners. Chris also writes historical sagas, short stories and historical articles which have been published in America and Britain. She has also published a historical family saga to Kindle. Writing is like an addiction to me, Chris says, I go into withdrawals without it.
- Author(s)Chris Longmuir
- PublisherBarker & Jansen
- Date of Publication08/11/2012
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationMontrose
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBarker & Jansen
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight367 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $30.99New
- AU $71.82New
- AU $91.13New
- AU $79.26New
- AU $49.25New
- AU $21.55New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.90Trending at AU $30.99
- AU $12.20Trending at AU $16.37
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $79.26
- AU $10.69Trending at AU $16.82
- AU $74.56Trending at AU $83.11
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.87
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $19.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.