All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- Author(s)Charles Rockwell Lanman
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/1974
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content NoteIll.
- Weight681 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
- Edition StatementNew edition
- Table Of ContentsIntroductory suggestions Brief list of books for students of Sanskrit PART I. A. From the Maha-bharata 1. The story of Nala and Damayanti B. From the Hitopadeca 2. Preface and introduction 3. The old tiger and the traveller 4. The deer and the crow, and the jackal 5. The blind vulture, the birdlings, and the cat 6. The ass, the dog, and the thief 7. The lion, the mouse, and the cat 8. The crows and the serpent 9. The lion, the old hare, and the well 10. The birds and the apes 11. The ass in the tiger-skin 12. The elephant, the hares, and the moon 13. The blue jackal 14. The two geese and the tortoise 15. The three fishes 16. The herons, the serpent, and the ichneumons 17. The hermit, and the mouse that was changed to a tiger 18. The heron, the fishes, and the crab 19. The Brahman and his jar 20. The Brahman with the goat, and the three rogues 21. The Brahman and his faithful ichneumon C. From the Katha-sarit-sagara 22. King Putraka and the seven-league boots 23. Story of Mousey, the thrifty merchant 24. King Cibi, the falcon, and the dove 25. Story of Ahalya 26. The king who didn't know his Sanskrit grammar 27. The pathetic history of the stories D. From the Manava-dharmacastra a. The creation b. The four ages of the world c. The Brahman's life, etc. d. The transmigration of souls 28. Riddle 29. Riddle E. From the Rigveda 30. Hymn to Agni, the Fire-god 31. Indra slays the dragon 32. To Surya, the Sun-god 33. To Agni 34. Indra and the Maruts 35. To Savitar 36. Indra contests the supremacy of Varuna 37. To Ushas, the Dawn-goddess 38. To Agni 39. Indra and Atri, and the Sun eclipsed by the demon 40. Magic spells to produce sleep 41. To the Maruts or gods of the storm-winds 42. To Varuna 43. To Varuna 44. To Varuna 45. To Indra.--Indra and Namuchi 46. Indra and the Maruts, and Vritra 47. To Agni 48. To the Waters 49. Funeral-hymn 50. Funeral-hymn 51. Funeral-hymn 52. Funeral-hymn 53. The aged priest to the young prince 54. Wedding-stanza 55. The gods install Agni as oblation-bearer 56. Burial and wedding-stanzas 57. The wedding-hymn 58. Exorcism for a sick person 59. To Yama.--Funeral-hymn 60. Burial-stanza F. From the Maitrayani 61. Hiranya-garbha. The god Ka or Who 62. Legend of Yama and Yami.--The creation of night 63. Legend of the winged mountains 64. The potency of the sacrifice G. Other Brahmana-pieces 65. Legend of Agni the oblation-bearer, and of the fish 66. Legend of Indra and the Maruts, and Vritra 67. Legend of Indra and the god Ka or Who 68. The two kinds of deities, the gods and the Brahmans 69. Truth, untruth, and silence 70. How the gods got immortality and how Death got his share 71. Legend of Indra and Namuchi 72. Nirukta on RV. i.32.1O, selection xxxii H. From the Grihya-sutras 73. Wedding-customs and the wedding-service 74. The customs and ritual of cremation and burial PART II. Vocabulary Explanations and abbreviations List of abbreviations PART III. Notes
- Author BiographyCharles Lanman was a Professor at Harvard University during the nineteenth century. He was also Honorary Fellow of the Asiatic Society of Bengal, of France, of England, and of Germany and Corresponding Member of the Society of Sciences at Gottingen, the Russian Academy of Sciences, and the Academie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres of the Institute of France.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.