All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThe 'Cradle of Humankind' (COH), bordering Gauteng and the North-West Province in South Africa, was declared a World Heritage Site for the wealth of the human and animal fossils found there. Research based on fossils found in the area as well as signs of early human habitation have shed new light on the evolution of humankind and on the significant role that southern Africa played in the development of modern humans. A Search for Origins aims to provide an overview of the history of the COH, and of the important discoveries that have been made there, for a n-specialist audience. A number of general accounts have been written which have concentrated on the palaeontological discoveries made there. No systematic account written by specialists in their disciplines has, however, been published about the wider history of the COH and surrounding areas.In particular, overview spanning the evolution of early plant and animal life, human development, and recent and colonial history as reflected in discoveries linked to the COH, has been attempted.This edited volume frames the scientific advances that have been made in the COH against the intellectual and political background out of which they emerged. It places the COH within a recognisable South African context, which renders it a great deal more meaningful for both South African visitors and international tourists.The multi-disciplinary approach - from a wide range of specialists based in South Africa and the United Kingdom - is invative and ground-breaking.
- Author BiographyPhilip Bonner, Amanda Esterhuysen and Trefor Jenkins are all academics based at the University of the Witwatersrand. Prof Bonner is a historian, Dr Esterhusyen an archaeologist and Prof Jenkins a world-renowned geneticist.
- PublisherWits University Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2008
- SubjectEarth Sciences
- Place of PublicationJohannesburg
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintWits University Press
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight835 g
- Width168 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byAmanda Esterhuysen,Phillip Bonner,Trefor Jenkins
- Foreword byPhillip V. Tobias
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.