Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $12.76+ postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by thephilosophersnook
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionA book for our times, sharing stories of the Great Depression of the 1930s and the generosity of a man who understood hardship. A timely and powerful work of America at its worst - and Americans at their best - woven from the stories of Depression-era families who were helped by gifts from the author's generous and secretive grandfather. Ted Gup, and the generosity he describes, gives us abundant reason to take heart today. Shortly before Christmas 1933 in Depression-scarred Canton, Ohio, a small newspaper ad offered $10 to 75 families in distress. Readers were asked to submit letters describing their hardships to a benefactor calling himself Mr B. Virdot. The author's grandfather, Sam Stone, was inspired to place this ad and assist the townsfolk as they prepared for a cruel Christmas. Moved by the tales of suffering and expressions of hope contained in the letters, which he discovered in a suitcase 75 years later, Ted Gup set out to unveil the lives behind them, searching for records and relatives all over the country who could help him flesh out the family sagas hinted at in those letters. From these sources, Gup has re-created the impact that Mr B. Virdot's gift h
- Author BiographyTED GUP is an investigative reporter who has been a staff writer for the Washington Post and a correspondent at Time magazine. He is the author of The Book of Honor and the recipient of a George Polk Award and a Worth Bingham Prize. A professor of journalism at Case Western Reserve University, he lives in Pepper Pike, Ohio.
- Author(s)Ted Gup
- PublisherRandom House Australia
- Date of Publication01/11/2010
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationMilsons Point
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2010
- ImprintVintage (Australia)
- Weight439 g
- Width156 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.