All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA spectacular overview of one of the most highly acclaimed art collections on the West Coast, which greets travelers at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) as they journey between land, sea, and sky. The airport which is kwn for its modern design and expansive topography, offers an impressive visual display of award-winning art and architecture. Each terminal building represents the culture heritage, natural beauty, and iconic experiences that embody British Columbia, and the artwork exhibited throughout plays an integral role in telling those stories. Revered in particular for its focus on Pacific Coast Native art, the collection is presented in the thematic groupings of land, sea, and sky--three realms that intersect at YVR. In A Sense of Place, art historian and critic Robin Laurence will examine the commissioning of dozens of striking artworks as a response to the airport's overall architectural and design plan, and particularly as a reflection of the cultural heritage and natural environment identified with the province of British Columbia. Among the highlights of the collection are monumental sculptures by leading Northwest Coast First Nations artists including Susan A. Point (Coast Salish), Robert Davidson (Haida), Dempsey Bob (Tahltan-Tlingit), Richard Hunt (Kwakwaka'wakw), Lyle Wilson (Haisla), Joe David (Nuu-chah-nulth), Connie Watts (Nuu-chah-nulth, Kwakwaka'wakw and Gitxsan), and the late Bill Reid, famed for The Spirit of Haida Gwaii: The Jade Cae. Their art both welcomes and bids farewell to the millions of travellers who make their way through YVR each year.
- Author BiographyRobin Laurence is an independent writer, critic, and curator based in Vancouver. She is the visual arts critic for The Georgia Straight, and is a contributing editor for both Canadian Art and Border Crossings magazines, for which she writes regularly. She has published essays about art and artists in more than fifty books and exhibition catalogs, and has produced numerous reviews and feature articles for local, national, and international publications. Laurence holds an MA in art history and a BFA in studio arts, and was educated at the University of Calgary, the University of Victoria, the Banff School of Fine Arts, and the Instituto Allende in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.
- Author(s)Robin Laurence
- PublisherFigure 1 Publishing
- Date of Publication26/11/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintFigure 1 Publishing
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight571 g
- Width216 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.