Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionGroundbreaking new research on an important social group within the Middle East Based upon extensive field research Fascinating insight into one of the most dynamic regions of the Middle East Traders, bazaaris and shop-keepers constitute a very important social and ecomic category in the Middle East. Yet, despite their significance there have been very few empirical studies on contemporary market people in the region. A Shop of One's Own marks an important step forward in filling this gap by exploring a key merchant sector in Syria. The book is based upon extensive fieldwork carried out by Annika Rabo amongst the traders of Aleppo and sheds new light on how this politically sensitive social group views itself and others in the prevalent atmosphere of ecomic liberalisation and political reform following the death of Syrian President Hafez al-Asad.
- Author BiographyAnnika Rabo is a researcher with the Swedish Council for Research in the Humanities and Social Sciences and is Assistant Professor of Social Anthropology at Linkoping University, Sweden.
- Author(s)Annika Rabo
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication23/09/2005
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleCulture and Society in Western and Central Asia S.
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 4
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight522 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.