All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs Graeme Williams states 'readers of John Milton and Beatrix Potter will kw, reading about bad characters tends to be much more fun than reading about good ones. I confess to thinking that Paradise Lost and the Tales of Mr Tod, and of Two Bad Mice are all more entertaining to read than Paradise Regained or the Flopsy Bunnies and I have found that the same is true about writing about judges.' While there are plenty of books about Good English Judges: indeed their 'goodness' may well have been one of their authors' main reasons for writing them, there is as yet book specifically about Bad Judges in this country, though there are quite a few in the United States. No doubt there are a number of reasons for this: the law of libel, within its limits, protects the living, and the old maxim 'de mortuis nil nisi bonum' may protect the dead, at least for a decent interval 'post mortem'. In recent times there have been fewer Bad Judges than in the past, even though there are w more judges, at every level, than there were fifty years ago. The position today is doubt the result of our modern, and on the whole very sensible and worthwhile practice, of appointing 'new' permanent judges only after they have attended judicial training, have sat as a judge in a part-time, temporary judicial post before appointment, and have performed in that capacity well eugh to justify long-term judicial office.
- Author BiographyGraeme Williams QC was a Senior Bencher of The Inner Temple and formerly A Recorder of The Crown Court and author of 'Death of a Circuit: Being Some Account of the Oxford Circuit and how it was Abolished' (Wildy, Simmonds & Hill Publishing).
- Author(s)Graeme Williams
- PublisherWildy, Simmonds and Hill Publishing
- Date of Publication18/12/2013
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleWildy Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWildy, Simmonds and Hill Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight250 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $24.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.