All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere are around 16,000 species of bee. Only seven of these are responsible for creating the world's sweetest treat - honey. Combining Ilona's gorgeous photography and E. Readicker-Henderson's engaging text, A Short History of the Honey Bee follows the journey from flower to hive to honey throughout history. A Short History of the Honey Bee starts with the story of the honey bee - why it is named Apis mellifera, how it has evolved from a solitary creature to one that travels in groups, why it stings, and how pollination really works. Readicker-Henderson then moves on to the honey, detailing its history from a wild food foraged for on cliffs to the many varieties available for purchase today. But it is the everyday importance of the bee that remains the central message. Forty percent of the world's food supply - including apples, tomatoes, and strawberries - is dependent on pollination by honeybees. Colony collapse, when the worker bees suddenly disappear and leave behind the queen and the hive, is an ecological and agricultural crisis. For this reason alone we need to be more aware of the significance of bees.
- Author BiographyE. Readicker-Henderson is a beekeeper turned regular writer and contributor to National Geographic Traveler, Sierra, and others, and has won numerous awards for his writing. He lives in Bellingham, Washington. Ilona is renowned for her close-up work of flowers and nature. Her book Fleurish was honored with a Lucie International Photography Award in 2006. She lives in Salmon, Idaho.
- Author(s)E. Readicker-Henderson,Ilona
- PublisherTimber Press
- Date of Publication26/05/2009
- SubjectNatural History: Animal & Wildlife
- Place of PublicationPortland, OR
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTimber Press
- Content Note75 color photos
- Weight454 g
- Width140 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.84
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.