All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Miss Milner anunces her passion for her guardian, a Catholic priest, she breaks through the double barrier of religious vocation and society's standards of 'proper' womanly behaviour. Her love is legitimized when Dorriforth is released from his vows, but she finds her own urthodox nature cant conform to a marriage where her husband continues to be a stern moral guide. With a surenees of touch that prefigures Jane Austen, Elizabeth Inchbald shows that there is simple answer to their predicament, and that their conflict can only be resolved in the next generation. ABOUT THE SERIES: For over 100 years Oxford World's Classics has made available the widest range of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, helpful tes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.
- Author BiographyThe late J.M.S. Tompkins edited the OEN text from which edition derives Jane Spencer is a lecturer in English at the University of Edinburgh. Her other publications include The Rise of the Woman Novelist (Blackwell, 1986). Her introduction to A Simple Story reconsiders Elizabeth Inchbald in the light of current feminist thinking.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Inchbald
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication07/05/2009
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleOxford World's Classics
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published1998
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight266 g
- Width129 mm
- Height195 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byJ. M. S. Tompkins
- Introduction byJane Spencer
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.