Save on Audio Books
- AU $28.19Trending at AU $29.78
- AU $25.20Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $45.20Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $44.90Trending at AU $48.40
- AU $35.89Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $42.29Trending at AU $46.12
- AU $25.76Trending at AU $33.06
About this product
- DescriptionSteven Kotler was forty years old, single, and facing an existential crisis when he met Lila, a woman devoted to animal rescue. Love me, love my dogs was her rule, and Steven took it to heart. Spurred to move by a housing crisis in Los Angeles, Steven, Lila, and their eight dogs-then ten, then twenty, and then they lost count-bought a postage-stamp-size farm in Chimayo, New Mexico. A Small Furry Prayer chronicles their adventures at Rancho de Chihuahua, the sanctuary they created for their special needs pack.While dog rescue is one of the largest underground movements in America, it is also one of the least understood. An insider look at the cult and culture of dog rescue, A Small Furry Prayer weaves personal experience, cultural investigation, and scientific inquiry into a fast-paced, fun-filled narrative that explores what it means to devote one's life to the furry and the four-legged. Along the way, Kotler combs through every aspect of canine-human relations, from humans' long history with dogs through brand-new research into the neuroscience of canine companionship, in the end discovering why living in a world made of dog may be the best way to uncover the truth about what it really means to be human.
- Author BiographySteven Kotler is the author of the bestselling novel The Angle Quickest for Flight and the nonfiction work West of Jesus, a 2006 PEN West finalist. His work has appeared in the New York Times Magazine, GQ, Wired, Discover, Popular Science, Details, Outside, National Geographic, and elsewhere. He also writes The Playing Field, a blog about the science of sport, for PsychologyToday.com. Steven runs the Rancho de Chihuahua dog sanctuary with his wife in New Mexico. Kevin Foley has over thirty years' experience in radio and television broadcasting, commercial voice-overs, and audiobook narration. He has recorded over 150 audiobooks, including Storm Rising by Gary Naiman, 100 Ways to Bring Out Your Best by Roger Fritz, The Last Witness by Joel Goldman, and River Thunder by Gary McCarthy, for which he earned a Spur Award for Best Audiobook from the Western Writers of America. He has also won an Earphones Award from AudioFile magazine for his narration of Cognitive Surplus by Clay Shirky.
- Author(s)Steven Kotler
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication11/10/2010
- SubjectPets & Equine
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Out-of-print date14/04/2017
- Weight72 g
- Width135 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Narrator(s)Kevin Foley
- Format DetailsMP3 format
- Running Time570
- Edition StatementUnabridged
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.