Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $47.68Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $50.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor readers of Meg Wolitzer, Elizabeth Strout, and Anna Quindlen, A Small Indiscretion is a gripping and ultimately redemptive vel of love and its dangers, marriage and its secrets, youth and its treacherous mistakes. A Small Indiscretion fixes an unflinching eye on the power of desire and the danger of obsession as it unfolds the story of one woman's reckoning with a youthful mistake. At nineteen, Annie Black trades a bleak future in her washed-out hometown for a London winter of drinking to oblivion and yearning for deliverance. Some two decades later, she is married to a good man and settled in San Francisco, with a son and two daughters and a successful career designing artistic interior lights. One June morning, a photograph arrives in her mailbox, igniting an old longing and setting off a chain of events that rock the foundations of her marriage and threaten to overturn her family's hard-won happiness. The vel moves back and forth across time between San Francisco in the present and that distant winter in Europe. The two worlds converge and explode when the adult Annie returns to London seeking answers, her indiscretions come to light, and the phone rings with shocking news about her son. Now Annie must fight to save her family by piecing together the mystery of her past--the fateful collision of liberation and abandon and sexual desire that drew an invisible map of her future. A Small Indiscretion is a riveting debut vel about a woman's search for understanding and forgiveness, a taut exploration of a modern marriage, and of love--the kind that destroys, and the kind that redeems. Advance praise for A Small Indiscretion An engrossing, believable, gracefully written family drama that reveals our past's bare-knuckle grip on our present. --Emma Doghue, New York Times bestselling author of Room A stunning debut by Jan Ellison . . . Like the photograph that arrives in the mail and sets in motion the plot of this gorgeous vel, A Small Indiscretion reminds us of the intensity of youthful desire and of the fragile nature of a marriage built on secrecy. --Ann Packer, New York Times bestselling author of The Dive from Clausen's Pier It might be convenient if our mistakes would fade with time rather than hunt us down complete with consequence, but that wouldn't make for the kind of taut, hyptic story Jan Ellison tells. The impact of narrator Annie Black's 'small' indiscretion is anything but, and in a brilliantly paced unraveling, Ellison makes vivid the sometimes tragic interplay of choice and fate, lust and love, youth and adulthood--which can bring its own mistakes. Absorbing, chilling, and moving, A Small Indiscretion is the debut of an elegant writer who will be kwn and admired from the start. --Robin Black, author of Life Drawing An emotional thriller of the Anita Shreve variety, with revelations that continue and relationships that evolve until the final pages . . . Conisseurs of domestic suspense will finish this book in a few breathless sittings, then wait eagerly for Ellison's next trick. --Kirkus Reviews [A] cleverly constructed debut . . . a deftly crafted, absorbing vel that peels back the layers of Annie's character as it reveals the secrets of her past and present. -- Booklist From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyJan Ellison is a graduate of Stanford University and San Francisco State University's MFA Program. She has published award-winning short fiction, and was the recipient of a 2007 O. Henry Prize for her first story to appear in print. Her work has also been shortlisted for Best American Short Stories and the Pushcart Prize. She lives in Northern California with her husband and their four children. A Small Indiscretion is her first book.
- Author(s)Jan Ellison
- PublisherThorndike Press
- Date of Publication27/05/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThorndike Press
- Weight590 g
- Width142 mm
- Height218 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
- Edition Statementlarge type edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $23.66Trending at AU $30.15
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.