Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionSport has played a central role in modern Ireland's history. Perhaps where else has sport so infused the political, social and cultural development and identity of a nation. During this so-called 'Decade of Centenaries' in Ireland (2014 to 2024) recently there has been an exponential growth in interest and academic research on Ireland's sporting heritage. This collection of chapters, contributed by some of Ireland's most preeminent sport and social historians, showcases the richness and complexity of Ireland's sporting legacy. Articles on topics as diverse as the role of native Gaelic games in emphasising the emerging cultural nationalism of pre-Revolutionary Ireland, the contribution of Irish rugby to the broader British war effort in World War 1, the emergence of Irish soccer on the international stage, and the long running battle to gain official recognition within international athletics for an independent Irish state, are presented. This work's intention is to illustrate some of the latest and most vibrant research being conducted on Irish sports history. This book was published as a special issue of Sport in Society.
- Author BiographyRichard McElligott lecturers in modern Irish history at University College Dublin and is the author of Forging a Kingdom: The GAA in Kerry, 1884-1934. His research has been published in a range of journals including Eire-Ireland and Irish Economic and Social History. Since 2011 he has served as Chairman of the Sports History Ireland Society. David Hassan is Head of the School of Sport at Ulster University. He is the author of 11 books and over 75 peer-reviewed articles and outputs dealing with sport and modern society. He holds a Distinguished Research Fellowship from Ulster in recognition of his outstanding contribution to research.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/05/2016
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Series TitleSport in the Global Society - Contemporary Perspectives
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight453 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byDavid Hassan,Richard McElligott
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.