All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Every revolutionary party, every oppressed people, every oppressed working class can claim Jaures, his memory, his example, and his person, for our own' - Leon Trotsky Jean Jaures was the celebrated French Socialist Party leader, assassinated in 1914 for trying to use diplomacy and industrial action to prevent the outbreak of war. Published just a few years before his death, his magisterial A Socialist History of the French Revolution, has endured for over a century as one of the most influential accounts of the French Revolution ever to be published. Mitchell Abidor's long-overdue translation and abridgement of Jaures' original 6-volumes brings this exceptional work to an Anglophone audience for the first time. Written in the midst of his activities as leader of the Socialist Party and editor of its newspaper, L'Humanite, Jaures intended the book to serve as both a guide and an inspiration to political activity; even w it can serve to do just that. Abidor's accomplished translation, and Jaures's verve, originality and willingness to criticise all players in this great drama make this a truly moving addition to the shelf of great books on the French Revolution.
- Author BiographyJean Jaures (3 September 1859 - 31 July 1914) was a French Socialist who became the leader, in 1902, of the French Socialist Party, which opposed Jules Guesde's revolutionary Socialist Party of France. The two parties merged in 1905 in the French Section of the Workers' International (SFIO). An antimilitarist, Jaures was assassinated at the outbreak of World War I, and remains one of the main historical figures of the French Left. Mitchell Abidor (Translator) books include anthologies of the anarchist writings of Victor Serge, on the propagandists of the deed, the Paris Commune, the left of the French Revolution, and French anarchist individualists, as well as the novella A Raskolnikov by Emmanuel Bove. He lives in Brooklyn.
- Author(s)Jean Jaures
- PublisherPluto Press
- Date of Publication16/04/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPluto Press
- Weight590 g
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byMitchell Abidor
- Format DetailsLibrary binding
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.