All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'A Sociology of Health charts a way forward for a medical sociology that can make a positive contribution to medical practice and health policy' - Dr Michael Fitzpatrick, East London GP and author of The Tyranny of Health 'This is a very lively book that will stimulate good debate amongst students undertaking sociology of health courses in higher education' - Mathew Jones, Senior Lecturer in Health and Social Policy, University of the West of England A Sociology of Health offers an authoritative and up-to-date introduction to the key issues, perspectives and debates within the field of medical sociology. The book will aid readers' understanding of how sociological approaches are crucial to understanding the impact that health and illness have on the behaviour, attitudes, beliefs, and practices, of an increasingly health-aware population. The book is topical and unique in its approach, combining commentary and analysis of classic debates in medical sociology with contemporary issues in health care policy and practice. The content is wide-ranging, including chapters on: health scares, therapy culture, new dimensions of international health, changes in health care organisation and the feminization of health. Features such as case studies, questions for debate, and further reading sections are used throughout to promote critical reflection and further debate. A Sociology of Health offers readers a fresh approach to the subject, and will be essential reading for all undergraduate students on medical sociology and sociology of health and illness courses, as well as postgraduate students in related health and social care disciplines. David Wainwright is a Senior Lecturer in the School for Health, University of Bath.
- Author BiographyDr David Wainwright is a Sociologist who studies the connections between work, health and wellbeing, with particular reference to welfare and health care policy. He is a Senior Lecturer in the Department for Health, University of Bath where he convenes the cross-faculty Work, Health and Wellbeing Research Group, and is the Director of Studies for the Professional Doctorate in Health programmes.
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication18/01/2008
- SubjectMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content Notefigures
- Weight372 g
- Width170 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byDavid Wainwright
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.