All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWritten for both professional practitioners and a lay readership this offers practical steps to enable churches to be safer spaces for victims of abuse. Drawing on her travels in South Africa and South America and her current role as Director of the face2face project at Holy Rood House, the author asks how the stories of 'survivors' can begin to transform society and the Church. What helps some people 'survivre', that is, to live over and above their stories of trauma and abuse and begin to flourish? What is it that brings resilience to the human spirit, what are redemptive relationships and how can we make 'safe eugh' spaces for hidden stories to come to light? How can inappropriate power relations be challenged, and forgiveness be a community activity rather than an individuals' burden? This book comes out of the author's experience as a Methodist minister working alongside survivors of abuse, which began when a survivor arrived unanunced on her doorstep. 'It scared me. I wasn't trained for this and I felt totally out of my depth. As the weeks went by, I learned both the trauma and the resilience that were present in my unexpected visitor - and the need to find a bridge between this experience and an informed theology'. Survivor stories are grounded and echoed in tales from an allotment: of the toil and preparation that are needed, both above and beneath the surface, to enable fragile shoots t only to emerge from the darkness but to grow and flourish. Glasson challenges the victim motif of crucifixion and claims the challenge of the resurrection - for all people, and for the Church-- to 'live'!
- Author BiographyBarbara Glasson is a Methodist minister, based at an emerging church in Liverpool city centre that bakes bread. She is also Director of the face2face project (supporting survivors of sexual abuse within faith communities), based at a centre for therapeutic healing and wholeness at Holy Rood House in North Yorkshire.
- Author(s)Barbara Glasson
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication30/09/2009
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Weight227 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.