All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Robert F. Sibert Hor Book Winner of the Schneider Family Book AwardAn ALA-ALSC Notable Children's BookWinner of the NCTE Orbis Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children As a child in the late 1800s, Horace Pippin loved to draw: He loved the feel of the charcoal as it slid across the floor. He loved looking at something in the room and making it come alive again in front of him. He drew pictures for his sisters, his classmates, his co-workers. Even during W.W.I, Horace filled his tebooks with drawings from the trenches . . . until he was shot. Upon his return home, Horace couldn't lift his right arm, and couldn't make any art. Slowly, with lots of practice, he regained use of his arm, until once again, he was able to paint--and paint, and paint! Soon, people including the famous painter N. C. Wyeth started ticing Horace's art, and before long, his paintings were displayed in galleries and museums across the country. Jen Bryant and Melissa Sweet team up once again to share this inspiring story of a self-taught painter from humble beginnings who despite many obstacles, was ultimately able to do what he loved, and be recognized for who he was: an artist. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyJEN BRYANT has published poetry, biographies, picture books, and fiction for young readers. Her last picture-book biography collaboration with Melissa Sweet, A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams, was a Caldecott Honor Book. Jen lives with her family in southeastern Pennsylvania. MELISSA SWEET is the Caldecott Honor artist of A River of Words by Jen Bryant, The Sleepy Little Alphabet by Judy Sierra, and Mrs. Harkness and the Panda by Alicia Potter, among others. She is also the author-illustrator of Balloons Over Broadway, which was awarded a Robert F. Sibert Medal.
- Author(s)Jen Bryant
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- SubjectChildren's General Interest & Leisure
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintRandom House USA Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width221 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Illustrator(s)Melissa Sweet
- Format DetailsLibrary binding,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.