All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionShortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2013 'Hi! My name is Nao, and I am a time being. Do you kw what a time being is? Well, if you give me a moment, I will tell you.' Ruth discovers a Hello Kitty lunchbox washed up on the shore of her beach home. Within it lies a diary that expresses the hopes and dreams of a young girl. She suspects it might have arrived on a drift of debris from the 2011 tsunami. With every turn of the page, she is sucked deeper into an enchanting mystery. In a small cafe in Tokyo, sixteen-year-old Nao Yasutani is navigating the challenges thrown up by modern life. In the face of cyberbullying, the mysteries of a 104-year-old Buddhist nun and great-grandmother, and the joy and heartbreak of family, Nao is trying to find her own place - and voice - through a diary she hopes will find a reader and friend who finally understands her. Weaving across continents and decades, and exploring the relationship between reader and writer, fact and fiction, A Tale for the Time Being is an extraordinary vel about our shared humanity and the search for home.
- Author BiographyRuth Ozeki is an award-winning novelist and filmmaker. Her third novel, A Tale for the Time Being won the 2013 Independent Booksellers Book Award and the Kitchies Red Tentacle Award, and was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2013 and the National Book Critics Award for Fiction. She is also the author of My Year of Meats and All Over Creation. Ozeki was born and raised in Connecticut, by an American father and Japanese mother. In June 2010 she was ordained as a Zen Buddhist priest. She divides her time between British Columbia and New York.
- PrizesWinner of Medici Book Club Prize 2014 and Independent Booksellers' Week Book of the Year Award: Adults' Book of the Year 2013 and Kitschies: Red Tentacle 2013. Shortlisted for Indies Choice Book Awards: Adult Fiction Honour Award 2014 and National Book Critics Circle Awards 2014 and Man Booker Prize for Fiction 2013. Long-listed for PEN Open Book Award 2014.
- Author(s)Ruth L. Ozeki
- PublisherCanongate Books Ltd
- Date of Publication11/03/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCanongate Books Ltd
- Weight287 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition StatementMain
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.41
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.47
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.10
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.22
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.39
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.81
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.