All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Toby in the Lane reveals the rich fabric of the East End markets, primarily in Petticoat Lane and Brick Lane, and celebrates the street traders and stalls which call these London institutions home. This is the story of immigrant communities and their fight for survival, reflected in sweat and toil. Countless tales of traders' scams, tricks and banter are found inside. Families who have traded throughout the generations on the market offer up a unique insight into the layers of history that - up until w - have remained untold. The story also traces the sometimes complicated relationships between trader and authorities in an often amusing but informative tale of London market life. A spellbinding, quirky and intimate portrait of life on the famous markets of London's East End, written by an East End senior market inspector, A Toby in the Lane will delight Londoners and visitors alike.
- Author BiographyPaul Morris is a prolific artist, having had exhibitions at the Royal College of Art and the Riverside Gallery among others. In his working life he is a market inspector, a job he has carried out for the London Borough of Tower Hamlets for 15 years. He lives in London.
- Author(s)Paul Morris
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication05/05/2014
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations (black and white)
- Weight320 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.