All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn advertising illustrator and artist by trade, Private Fergus Mackain enlisted in 1915 to 'do his bit', serving in France when the fighting was at its fiercest. After being wounded on the Somme and taken out of front line duty in 1917, he turned to designing humorous postcards for soldiers to send to their families at home. These colour postcards reflected a light-hearted and ironic fashion the reality of life in the trenches for the ordinary Tommy. His 'Sketches of Tommy's Life in France' and other cards are unique as they chronicle in accurate detail both his own life and the lives of all the 'ordinary' soldiers who fought in that momentous struggle. Largely forgotten today, Mackain's sketches are a vital document of real life in the trenches, the joys of the rum ration, the cacophony of the artillery barrage or being stuck in a shell hole knee deep in water. John Place, (whose own grandfather fought on the Somme) and William Mackain-Bremner (grandson of Fergus's cousin) have collected together for the first time all the extant postcards drawn by Mackain together with contextualizing commentary to the Western Front scenes depicted. Also included are reproductions of actual messages sent during the war on the back of Mackain's postcards. Includes over 200 colour illustrations.
- Author BiographyFergus Mackain was born in Canada to an English father & lived in New York with his young family working as an illustrator for an ad agency. Demobbed in 1918 he lived in England for several years before returning to his family. He died in 1924. William Mackain-Bremner lives in Texas & grew up in a British army family and was introduced to his relative's poignant illustrations from an early age. John Place is a teacher and lives in Oxford.
- Author(s)Private Fergus Mackain
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication13/10/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note213
- Width246 mm
- Height168 mm
- Edited byJohn Place,William Mackain-Bremner
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.