All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book revives and reinterprets a persistent intuition running through much of the classical work: that the unitary appearance of Obligatory Control into complements conceals an underlying duality of structure and mechanism. Idan Landau argues that control complements divide into two types: In attitude contexts, control is established by logophoric anchoring, while n-attitude contexts it boils down to predication. The distinction is also syntactically represented: Logophoric complements are constructed as a second tier above predicative complements. The theory derives the obligatory de se reading of PRO as a special kind of de re attitude without ascribing any inherent feature to PRO. At the same time, it provides a principled explanation, based on feature transmission, for the agreement properties of PRO, which are stipulated on competing semantic accounts. Finally, it derives a striking universal asymmetry: the fact that agreement on the embedded verb blocks control in attitude contexts but t in n-attitude contexts. This book is unique in being firmly grounded in both the formal semantic and the syntactic studies of control, offering an integrated view that will appeal to scholars in both areas. By bringing to bear current sophisticated grammatical analyses, it offers new insights into the classical problems of control theory.
- Author BiographyIdan Landau is Associate Professor in the Department of Foreign Languages and Linguistics at Ben-Gurion University. He is the author of Elements of Control: Structure and Meaning in Infinitival Constructions, The Locative Syntax of Experiencers (MIT Press), and Control in Generative Grammar: A Research Companion.
- Author(s)Idan Landau
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication09/06/2015
- Series TitleLinguistic Inquiry Monographs
- Series Part/Volume Number71
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.95
- AU $19.54Trending at AU $22.76
- AU $32.25Trending at AU $40.16
- AU $15.04Trending at AU $16.94
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $31.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.