All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA fresh and colourful look at Shakespeare's London published on the 400th anniversary of the playwright's death. Readers can explore the streets of Shakespeare's London and see the sights he saw, while learning how people ate, drank, misbehaved and had fun. You will discover what it was like to be a tourist in the sixteenth century from the voices of people who came to London during Shakespeare's day. You will travel with them to the major tourist sights and will learn how to get about, where to stay and what to eat and drink. You will visit the royal palaces, London's famous gardens, the Tower of London and Old St Paul's Cathedral. You will discover the pleasure of London's theatres, the sports people played and the shopping they enjoyed. As w, London was famous as a shopping destination. But beware, London is full of people who will pick your pockets or trick you out of your money and you are constantly at risk from the plague or even the polluted water supply. Most of the London Shakespeare knew has been destroyed by fire, war and developers, but a surprising number of buildings and places which he knew still survive.The book contains guided tours which show you to sample the atmosphere and see the sights which Tudor tourists enjoyed. This title will appeal to Shakespeare lovers, social history fans, fiction and drama lovers, students and anyone with an interest in this fascinating era of London's history.
- Author BiographyDavid Thomas is the former Director of Technology at the National Archives, where he was responsible for systems, the online catalogue, the website and the preservation of digital records. He has a long-standing interest in crime, imprisonment and poverty and has written extensively on these topics for family history magazines. He is the author of Beggars Cheats and Forgers: A History of Frauds Through the Ages (Pen & Sword, 2014).
- Author(s)David Thomas
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication06/04/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword History
- Content Note8pp B&W illustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.