All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJean Francois de Galaup, comte de La Perouse (1741-88) was a French explorer appointed by Louis XVI to lead an expedition to explore the Pacific Ocean, which ended in disaster when in 1788 the ships left Botany Bay in Australia on course for the islands of Oceania, and were never heard from again. However, La Perouse had sent back via a British ship letters, journals and charts which form the basis of these detailed volumes (first published in English translation in 1799), providing a fascinating account of the journey and the discoveries of the expedition. They provide valuable insights into the social and political context of contemporary scientific naval expeditions. Volume 1 contains a short biography of La Perouse, copies of documents concerning the planning and provision of the expedition and a description of the voyage across the Pacific Ocean as far as Korea.
- Author Biographyfm.author_biographical_note1 fm.author_biographical_note2
- Author(s)Jean-Francois De Galaup
- PublisherCambridge Library Collection
- Date of Publication02/06/2011
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Series TitleCambridge Library Collection - Maritime Exploration
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus.
- Weight1440 g
- Width210 mm
- Height297 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byL. A. Millet-Mureau
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $24.94Trending at AU $33.36
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.