A Voyage to the South-Sea and Along the Coasts of Chili and Peru, in the Years 1712, 1713, and 1714: With a Postscript by Dr Edmund Halley and an Account of the Settlement, Commerce, and Riches of the Jesuites in Paraguay by Amedee-Francois Frezier (Paperback, 2014)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first reliable maps of the Chilean and Peruvian coasts were drawn by the French explorer Amedee-Francois Frezier (1682-1773). In 1712, he was sent on a spying mission to the Spanish ports and fortifications of South America, travelling along the Pacific coastline as far as Callao, the port of Lima. His maps were later used by two of France's most famous explorers, Bougainville and Laperouse. Frezier also took a keen interest in botany, mineralogy, ecomics and anthropology. His most celebrated achievement is the introduction to Europe of the Chilean strawberry, which was used to create the hybrid species kwn today as the garden strawberry. Frezier's observations and illustrations of the people, plants and animals he encountered on his South American travels are given in this popular account, published in Paris in 1716 and reissued here in the English translation of 1717.
- Author(s)Amedee-Francois Frezier
- PublisherCambridge Library Collection
- Date of Publication28/08/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleCambridge Library Collection - Maritime Exploration
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note37 b/w illus.
- Weight680 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.