All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $86.44
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $61.12
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $79.24
- AU $52.90Trending at AU $53.46
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.41
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.82
- AU $12.24Trending at AU $21.10
About this product
- DescriptionJulius was born in a mansion on Salaverry Avenue, directly across from the old San Felipe Hippodrome. Life-size Disney characters and cowboy movie heroes romp across the walls of his nursery. Out in the carriage house, his great-grandfather s ornate, moldering carriage takes him on imaginary adventures. But Julius s father is dead, and his beautiful young mother passes through her children s lives like an ephemeral shooting star. Despite the soft shelter of family and money, hard realities overshadow Julius s expanding world, just as the rugged Andes loom over his home in Lima.This lyrical, richly textured vel, first published in 1970 as Un mundo para Julius, opens new territory in Latin American literature with its focus on the social elite of Peru. In this postmodern vel Bryce Echenique incisively charts the decline of an influential, centuries-old aristocratic family faced with the invasion of foreign capital in the 1950s. Winner of the Outstanding Translation Award of the American Literary Translators Association and the Columbia University Translation Center Award.
- Author BiographyPeruvian writer Alfredo Bryce Echenique is the award-winning author of sixteen works of fiction and nonfiction. Winner of Peru's National Book Award in 1970, Echinque's masterpiece A World for Julius has been translated into thirteen languages and adapted to film and television. His most recent novel, El Huerto de mi Amada (My Beloved Garden), won the 2002 Planeta Award. Echenique divides his time between France and Peru.
- Author(s)Alfredo Bryce Echenique
- PublisherUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Date of Publication13/12/2004
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleAmericas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Wisconsin Press
- Weight608 g
- Width158 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Edited byIrene Vilar
- Translated byDick Gerdes,J A Marzan
- Introduction byJulio Ortega
- Foreword byJulio Ortega
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.