All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionKwn for their intricate textiles, the Q'ero are a traditional Quechua-speaking Peruvian highland people. Their weavings are full of symbolic elements and motifs that encode specific cultural information and their textiles are the repositories for kwledge that has been passed down through generations.
Based on ethgraphic fieldwork undertaken between 1979 and 1991, A Woven Book of Kwledge examines and compares regional weaving styles and discusses the general texture of highland life.
The author's long involvement with members of the Q'ero community has provided unique opportunities for insight into their ideas about weaving, icography, and spatial and temporal concepts. But A Woven Book of Kwledge is more than an ethgraphic study. If the warp of the book is the academic rigor of anthropology and linguistics, the weft is Silverman's love for the textiles themselves and for the Q'ero people. It is a result of a passion that has kept her in Cuzco for years, dedicating her career to the study of the local textile tradition.
- Author BiographyGail P. Silverman holds a Ph.D. from the Universite de Paris V, Sorbonne. She speaks Quechua and Spanish and is the author of six books in Spanish on the Cuzco textile tradition. She has lectured in the United States, Europe, and Bolivia and lives in Cuzco, Peru.
- Author(s)Gail P Silverman
- PublisherUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/10/2008
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationSalt Lake City
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.), maps
- Weight544 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.