About the Hearth: Perspectives on the Home, Hearth and Household in the Circumpolar North by Berghahn Books (Paperback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $36.16Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $81.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDue to changing climates and demographics, questions of policy in the circumpolar rth have focused attention on the very structures that people call home. Dwellings lie at the heart of many forms of negotiation. Based on years of in-depth research, this book presents and analyzes how the people of the circumpolar regions conceive, build, memorialize, and live in their dwellings. This book seeks to set a new standard for interdisciplinary work within the humanities and social sciences and includes anthropological work on vernacular architecture, environmental anthropology, household archaeology and demographics.
- Author BiographyDavid G. Anderson is Professor of Anthropology and Chair in Anthropology of the North at the University of Aberdeen. He was the leader of the collaborative research project entitled BOREAS Homes, Hearths and Households in the Circumpolar North and is presently the PI of an ERC-funded advanced grant entitled Arctic Domestication: Emplacing Human-Animal Relations in the Circumpolar North. He is the author of a monograph on Taimyr Evenkis and Dolgans, and the editor or co-editor of several collections published by Berghahn Books, most recently, The 1926/27 Soviet Polar Census Expeditions (2011). Robert P. Wishart is Lecturer at the University of Aberdeen. his ethnographic work has been on the Gwich'in-Dene of the Mackenzie Delta in Northern Canada, with the Ojibwe of Ontario, and with Scottish fishers. He led an associated project on vernacular architecture in the Gwich'in settlement area for the HHH research consortium. Virginie Vate is an anthropologist and a researcher at the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) in France. Since 1994, she has been doing research in Chukotka (Northeastern Siberia) and, since 2011, in Alaska. Within the ESF/BOREAS collaborative framework, she led an associated project on conversion to Christianity in Chukotka for the research program NEWREL (New Religious Movements in the Russian North). She is a co-editor of the NEWREL volume, currently in preparation.
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byDavid G. Anderson,Robert P. Wishart,Virginie Vate
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.30Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $32.54
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.10
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.70
- AU $18.70Trending at AU $20.01
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $20.03
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.