All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmerica's greatest president, who rose to power in the country's greatest hour of need and whose vision saw the United States through the Civil WarAbraham Lincoln towers above the others who have held the office of president the icon of greatness, the pillar of strength whose words bound up the nation's wounds. His presidency is the hinge on which American history pivots, the time when the young republic collapsed of its own contradictions and a new birth of freedom, sanctified by blood, created the United States we kw today. His story has been told many times, but never by a man who himself sought the office of president and contemplated the awesome responsibilities that come with it. George S. McGovern a Midwesterner, former U.S. senator, presidential candidate, veteran, and historian by training offers his unique insight into our sixteenth president. He shows how Lincoln sometimes went astray, particularly in his restrictions on civil liberties, but also how he adjusted his sights and transformed the Civil War from a political dispute to a moral crusade. McGovern's account reminds us why we hold Lincoln in such esteem and why he remains the standard by which all of his successors are measured.
- Author BiographyGeorge S. McGovern represented South Dakota in the United States Senate from 1963 to 1981 and was the Democratic nominee for president in 1972. He was a decorated bomber pilot in World War II, after which he earned his Ph.D. in American history and government at Northwestern University. A recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, he lives in Mitchell, South Dakota.William Dufris has been nominated six times as a finalist for the APA's prestigious Audie Awards. He garnered eighteen Golden Earphones Awards through AudioFile magazine, which honored him as one of The Best Voices At The End Of The Century. Of his work, AudioFile magazine said, William Dufris commands a dazzling array of voices that bring to life the dozens of audiobooks he's narrated. His other narrations include Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen, Ph.D.'s Days of Infamy and Pearl Harbor, Tom Perrota's Nine Inches, and John Scalzi's The Human Division.
- Author(s)George S McGovern
- PublisherMacMillan Audio
- Date of Publication04/12/2014
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleAmerican Presidents
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMacMillan Audio
- Weight150 g
- Edited byArthur M Schlesinger,Professor of History Sean Wilentz
- Read byWilliam Dufris
- Contained items statement5 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time330
Best-selling in Audio Books
- AU $46.19New
- AU $24.80New
- AU $31.50New
- AU $14.52New
Save on Audio Books
- AU $47.29Trending at AU $51.08
- AU $38.88Trending at AU $47.27
- AU $18.49Trending at AU $20.20
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $36.91
- AU $22.68Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $14.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.